GCFScape v1.3.1 - GCFScape and all the files you need to run it (except the .NET Framework).Download: (Required)
.NET Framework v1.1 (23,698 KB Executable) - GCFScape is written in C++ .NET and as such requires the .NET runtime to run. The .NET runtime is also available as a Windows Update. v1.1 is required.Download:
"the handle is invalid" even just trying to use GCFscape brings up the error. what does it mean and is there a way around this.
PS I am not a PC expert so something simple please.
please help me find the problem and help me get them back
@IceBreaker, you can use HLExtract from HLLib for that purpose, a how-to is here
EDIT: GCFScape 1.8.1 has that feature, just upgrade and select Tools->Batch->Validate
@Eggybreadistasty, does GCFScape start or does it crash?
@siralex, are you sure the file is complete? have you tried to validate it through steam?
My problem has a few parts:
1. When extracting files from the GCF I do not want to overwrite existing files, nor do I want to extract the 0 Byte files.
2. I do not know why each GCF has 0 byte files that are also in another GCF (with real bytes), but this is creating a problem for me trying to get all the data in one place.
3. I do not know what all files the HL2 campaigns need, and which GCFs they are in. The ones I have been extracting from are: Half Life 2 Content, Half Life 2 2007 base Content, Source 2007 Shared Materials, Source 2007 Shared Models, Source 2007 Shared Sounds, Source Materials, Source Models, Source Sounds.
4. I do not know exactly where to extract all the materials because the portal file structure is confusing. In portal/materials there are materials folders but also a models folder, but there is also a models folder at portal/models.
5. I have been able to launch a HL2 map from portal, and use the portal gun as expected. However most of the textures have a purple overlay, some textures are missing and you can see thru the grid, some textures show up as purple checkered board, some textures show up as static like on the TV (ant race), the lighting/shading on all surfaces changes from bright to dark and in between while moving or rotating camera.
I have seen several videos and screen shots of people successfully playing HL2 maps in Portal, essentially as if they where bonus maps I suppose. Unfortunately I cannot seem to get all the content in the right place. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
One Error: Error writing C:\Users\Nathan\AppData\Local\Temp\joey_facemap.vtf (Error: Unexpected end of GCF stream (0 B of 87528 B). Has the GCF file been completely acquired?)
For some reason they are not handled by GCFScape.
New users can register here.