I've received a number of emails from users having trouble extracting files from team fortress 2 content.gcf. It's taken eight years, but with the advent of the TF2 Scream Fortress, Valve have finally authored a GCF file larger than 4 GB. As many of you have found out, HLLib does not properly support files larger than 4 GB (partly due to my naive younger self, and partly because I wasn't sure if Steam did either).
Long story short, I updated HLLib to support files larger than 4 GB tonight, and I will release said update this weekend when I have time to build all the installers and more thoroughly test everything.
Using Wadfile: \old data drive\wads\dod_bloodyhill_btm.wad
- Contains 6 used textures, 7.50 percent of map (40 textures in wad)
Using Wadfile: \old data drive\wads\hk.wad
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (246292 bytes): 'FRONTGATESIGN'
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (306812 bytes): 'TK_CLAYROOF'
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (240172 bytes): 'TK_STONEWALLHI'
- Contains 56 used textures, 70.00 percent of map (1400 textures in wad)
Including Wadfile: \old data drive\wads\zhlt.wad
- Contains 0 used textures, 0.00 percent of map (8 textures in wad)
Using Wadfile: \old data drive\wads\dod.wad
- Contains 12 used textures, 15.00 percent of map (115 textures in wad)
Using Wadfile: \old data drive\wads\dod_flugplatz.wad
- Contains 6 used textures, 7.50 percent of map (111 textures in wad)
Error: File read failure
----- END hlcsg -----
I went to tommy escondidos site and found the following
Larger than expected texture
This is a warning, and only a warning, that you are using a larger sized texture in your level than some older video cards can handle. It is not a compile error, but it may cause player clients to sieze up if they have an older video card, or are in Software Video Mode. You must decide if you are going to abandon those players, or use another texture. See also Checkered textures.
So of course even though I did not use any of those textures listed in the compiler, I changed many of them anyway and it still will not compile. Any suggestions?
New users can register here.